Anwar has sodomy trial postponed

By M. JEGATHESAN, ROMEN BOSE/AFP
http://www.mysinchew.com/node/26935

KUALA LUMPUR (AFP) – Malaysian opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim’s sodomy trial, which was due to have opened Wednesday, was postponed after his chief defence lawyer fell ill.

High Court judge Mohamad Zabidin Mohamad Diah said he would set a new trial date next Wednesday in the case in which Anwar is accused of having sexual relations with a young man who worked in his office.

Anwar, who was sacked as deputy premier and jailed on separate sodomy and corruption charges a decade ago, says the latest allegations are a conspiracy to prevent him from seizing power from the Barisan Nasional coalition.

“It is a mockery of the whole process. They are hiding a lot of evidence from my lawyers. There is no transparency. These are trumped-up charges,” he told reporters at the court.

“They will find any reason to deny me (the chance) to function as the leader of the opposition,” he said. “I will fight injustice, I’m not afraid of being detained.”

Judge Mohamad Zabidin accepted the defence request for a postponement over the objections of the prosecution, and said that on July 15 he would set a new trial date and deal with two defence applications.

Anwar’s lawyers are pushing for disclosure of evidence including DNA samples, medical reports and CCTV footage, and are also moving to strike out the case altogether.

“Until and unless we dispose of the application, we cannot start with the trial,” the judge told the court.

However, Anwar’s lawyers said that if the strike-out application is unsuccessful they will go to the Court of Appeal, making it likely there will be further delays before the trial can get under way.

Defence lawyer Sivarasa Rasiah said that lead counsel Sulaiman Abdullah was undergoing tests in hospital after complaining of dizziness.

“We are hoping to complete the investigations by the end of the week. No doubt it has public interest–we do not see the need to be rushed along at an undue pace since the lead counsel is unwell,” he told the court.

The allegations, which carry a penalty of 20 years imprisonment, threaten to end Anwar’s political career, which he resurrected after spending six years in jail. He was freed in 2004 when the sodomy conviction was overturned.

However, analysts say that if the 61-year-old opposition leader is sent to jail once more on charges widely seen as politically motivated, it could cast him as a martyr and do serious damage to the ruling coalition.

A survey last year found just 11 percent of Malaysians believed the accusations that Anwar sodomised Mohamad Saiful Bukhari Azlan, who was then a 23-year-old volunteer at his office.

Some 150 supporters wearing black garments gathered outside the court, well down on the thousands that had been expected as word got around that the trial would be postponed.

“We do not believe that Anwar will get a fair trial and we want this sham to end,” said Shamsul Iskandar, youth wing chief of Anwar’s Keadilan party, which leads an opposition alliance that made big gains in 2008 national elections.

“Anwar is being victmised because he is demanding reform and the government is afraid of this,” he told AFP as some 100 police officers stood guard at the glass doors of the court.

Among the crowd that chanted the opposition battlecry of “Reformasi” (Reform), was 33-year-old Norashikin Ismail, dressed in a blue headscarf and floral traditional dress who came with five of her office coworkers.

“This is a waste of taxpayers’ money and court time to try someone who most Malaysians know is not guilty of such obscene charges”, she told AFP. “He should be set free.”

Pejabat Ketua AMK

Malaysian opposition to mount rally as Anwar trial opens

www.afp.com

KUALA LUMPUR, July 7, 2009 (AFP) – Malaysia’s opposition said it will mount a rally of thousands of black-clad supporters Wednesday outside the court where leader Anwar Ibrahim is to go on trial for sodomy.
Shamsul Iskandar Mohammad Akin, youth chief of Anwar’s Keadilan party, said he was aiming to gather 5,000 supporters for a march to the court complex, despite warnings from the government against creating a disturbance.

“We want to have a gathering to show our support for Anwar and to tell the world that these allegations made against him are false and baseless,” he told AFP Tuesday.

“The government is attacking him because they do not want to see his reform agenda for Malaysia to succeed,” he said.

Anwar, a former deputy premier who was sacked and jailed on separate sodomy and corruption charges a decade ago, has rejected the new allegations made by a former aide as a conspiracy to derail his plan to topple the government.

In 2004 the earlier sodomy conviction was overturned, allowing Anwar to go free after six years in jail and build an opposition alliance which won a third of parliamentary seats last year in an unprecedented performance.

“Many of the people who were responsible for what happened to Anwar in 1998 are still in power and are involved in this case and are carrying out their vendetta against him,” Shamsul said

Home Minister Hishammuddin Hussein has reportedly warned protesters not to create a disturbance at the Kuala Lumpur court complex where the trial will open on Wednesday.

“If they create chaos and go against the law (to) disrupt security and the judiciary, the authorities will certainly react,” he said according to news website Malaysiakini.

Police were tight-lipped on the number of personnel to be deployed at the court, and whether they would draft in the riot police and water cannon which have been deployed at other politically sensitive trials.

“As long as things are peaceful, there should be no issue,” deputy national police chief Ismail Omar told AFP.

“We are prepared for the situation,” he said, declining to elaborate on the size of the police presence.

However, other officials said police would begin deploying around the building before dawn on Wednesday, and that roadblocks would be set up around the complex.

Anwar’s first conviction triggered massive protests and complaints from home and abroad that the trial was politically motivated, after he reputedly fell out of favour with then-premier Mahathir Mohamad.

Pejabat Ketua AMK

Penubuhan Gerakan Rakyat Tolak Konspirasi Jahat Terhadap Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim (KEJAM)

Konspirasi Jahat Terhadap Anwar Ibrahim (KEJAM)
Konspirasi Jahat Terhadap Anwar Ibrahim (KEJAM)

Keputusan Mahkamah Rayuan untuk mengekalkan perbicaraan kes Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim di Mahkamah Tinggi secara jelas dan terang menggambarkan usaha berterusan Umno-BN untuk memastikan kemaraan rakyat di bawah Pakatan Rakyat terhalang.

Setelah pelbagai usaha jahat dan kotor untuk mengganggu gugat kestabilan Pakatan Rakyat menemui jalan buntu, maka klimaks kepada usaha ini terlihat melalui perbicaraan mahkamah ke atas konspirasi kedua yang dipalitkan ke atas Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.

Pembuktian bagaimana usaha terancang yang melibatkan Peguam Negara dan Ketua Polis Negara – ironinya keduanya adalah institusi besar di dalam perjalanan kes ini – sebermula konspirasi tahun 1998 dahulu, ditolak mentah oleh Mahkamah Rayuan.

Justeru hari ini, Angkatan Muda Keadilan Malaysia (AMK), secara rasminya melancarkan Gerakan Rakyat Tolak Konspirasi Jahat Terhadap Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim (KEJAM).

KEJAM tidak ditubuhkan semata-mata berasaskan sentimen politik, tetapi bersandarkan kepada fakta perundangan yang bersifat imperikal yang secara langsung membuktikan bahawa konspirasi kes liwat kedua ini adalah satu usaha politik kotor dan terdesak oleh Umno-BN.

Pembuktian demi pembuktian telahpun dikemuka dan diperoleh, namun perencanaan jahat ini kelihatan berupaya menghasilkan keputusan yang memenangkan mereka dengan kerjasama daripada institusi perundangan dan polis yang telahpun membuktikan profesionalisme yang mencurigakan sepanjang proses penyiasataan dan perbicaraan awal kes ini berjalan.

KEJAM akan menggerakkan usaha menyatakan solidariti ke atas Datuk Seri Anwar, dan akan menyebarluas fakta-fakta dan bukti-bukti alibi yang sekaligus membuktikan bahawa konspirasi ini tidak lain hanyalah satu usaha mengekang kemaraan rakyat yang semakin hari semakin menolak Umno-BN.

AMK yakin dan percaya bahawa usaha kotor ini akan menemui kegagalan di tangan rakyat, malah impaknya akan lebih memberi kesan kepada Umno-BN, selagi mana mereka terus dijangkiti sindrom penafian bahawa rakyat semakin muak dan jelak ke atas konspirasi jahat ini.

Rakyat semakin celik dengan kebenaran, dan rakyat akan terus jelek untuk menelan ‘operasi pembodohan’ yang dijalankan Umno-BN secara berterusan.

Shamsul Iskandar Mohd Akin
Ketua
Angkatan Muda Keadilan Malaysia

DSAI was unable to obtain a fair hearing in the corruption/abuse of power trial in 1998

1. In the corruption trial, Judge Augustine Paul allowed the prosecution to amend the charges such that DSAI was alleged to have abused his power to protect himself from “embarrassment” rather than “criminal action or proceedings” and refer to the “allegations” against him. The change in wording meant that the prosecution did not have to prove the truth of the allegations made by Ummi and Azizan.

2. Evidence, i.e. the mattress, was expunged from the court record and as a result the defense was not permitted to challenge the evidence. It should be noted that the government chemist had cautioned that the forensic evidence was not conclusive, “DNA should not be the sole foundation for finding a person guilty”.

3. Criminal Investigations officer Mohamad Rodwan Yusuf said he could not guarantee that the mattress had not been tampered with. No photographs were taken when it was seized and it was kept for four months before being sent for testing. Furthermore, police had no records of who had access to the mattress during that period.

4. Judge Augustine Paul ruled the defense of political conspiracy as irrelevant. In the 2001 Federal Court hearing of the appeal of lawyer Zainur Zakaria ‘s contempt of court case, the judges were manifestly displeased with this ruling and commented that the defense had the right to choose its line of defense as it saw fit, and was entitled to call witnesses as it deemed necessary without interference.

5. The defense team was harassed during the course of the trial; defense lawyer Zainur bin Zakaria was held in contempt of court and sentenced to three month imprisonment. This judgment was later overturned by the Federal Court with severe reprimand of the judge in June 2001, with one of the judges describing Judge Augustine Paul as “more like acting as counsel for the prosecution”.

6. Police officers searched the offices of another member of the defense team, Pawancheek Merican, on 3rd Dec 1998, on the pretext that documents were reported missing by DPP Azahar, who did not give the police reason to suspect the defense team.

To be continued…

Breaking News : Rayuan Speaker Perak, Sivakumar dibenarkan

Mahkamah Rayuan sebentar tadi memutuskan bahawa rayuan Speaker Negeri Perak, V.Sivakumar terhadap keputusan Pesuruhjaya Kehakiman di Mahkamah Tinggi Ipoh yang menghalang beliau menggunakan khidmat peguam pilihan sendiri telah dibenarkan.

Ini bermakna V.Sivakumar boleh menggunakan khidmat peguam pilihan beliau sendiri dan bukannya Penasihat Undang-Undang Negeri Perak. Hakim-hakim Mahkamah Rayuan, Raus Shariff, Abdull Hamid Embong dan Ahmad Maarof telah dengan sepakat membuat keputusan yang positif ini.

Susulan daripada keputusan ini, V.Sivakumar juga telah mendapat kebenaran penggantungan sementara (Interim Stay) berkenaan dengan perintah di Mahkamah Tinggi Ipoh yang menghalang beliau daripada mempengerusikan sebarang sidang DUN.

Nampaknya krisis politik negeri Perak semakin panas. Apa tunggu lagi, bubarkan sahaja dewan undangan negeri dan pilihanraya semula.

Setakat ini DSAI: 3 BN/UMNO: 0 !

Ketika memikirkan tajuk entri blog hari ini, teman-teman telah mencadangkan supaya saya mengambil contoh di dalam filem Nujum Pak Belalang. Di dalam filem ini, ketika berlakunya pertandingan di mana
negara menjadi taruhan di antara nujum pak belalang dengan nujum dari negara Masai, rakyat telah menunggu keputusan di luar istana. Pertandingan tersebut pada awalnya dimenangi oleh nujum pak belalang di mana di luar istana, rakyat bersorak kegembiraan sambil berteriak menang 1 – 0.

Hari ini di Mahkamah, YB Dato’ Seri Anwar Ibrahim menang lagi. Puan Hakim telah memberikan kebenaran untuk kes ini ditangguhkan ke 24 September 2008 walaupun terdapat bantahan daripada Dato Yusof Zainal Abidin, Ketua Unit Pendakwaan, Pejabat Peguam Negara. Dato Yusof telah mengemukakan arahan terbaru pendakwaan yang ditandatangani oleh Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail untuk kes ini dipindahkan untuk dibicarakan di Mahkamah Tinggi. Memandangkan arahan itu baru ditandatangani semalam dan diserahkan kepada peguambela hari ini, maka Puan Hakim S.M Komathy telah memberikan penangguhan supaya pihak pembelaan dapat menyediakan hujahan mereka. Saya kagum dengan Puan Hakim di mana sindiran beliau bahawa “I have been here for the past 26 years” menunjukkan satu signal bahawa beliau sendiri ingin mendengar kes ini.

Apapun, dengan perkembangan terbaru ini, Insya Allah jalan ke Putrajaya itu nampak lebih meyakinkan. Di dalam filem Nujum Pak Belalang, ianya diakhiri dengan kemenangan 5 – 0. Setakat ini YB Dato’ Seri Anwar Ibrahim telah menang 3 kali. Kali pertama semasa kes ini disebut pada 7/8/2008 di mana terdapat usaha untuk menghalang beliau daripada diikat jamin. Kali kedua ialah pilihanraya kecil permatang pauh, kali ketiga, kes hari ini, mungkin kali keempat, “cross-over” ahli-ahli Parlimen BN dan kali kelima, insya Allah menjadi PM ke 6. Hanya Allah Yang Maha Mengetahui.